Friday, November 11, 2011

Confusion Gone


2). Sometimes when something is difficult to understand, it becomes a bit clearer when we try to explain it to someone else.  Which type of reasoning was most difficult to understand?  Please do some additional Internet research on that specific type of reasoning and discuss what you learned.

The type of reasoning that was the most difficult for me to understand at first, out of all the other types of reasoning, was casual reasoning. I had trouble with it at first because the first link that we were provided left me kind of confused. I understood what it meant when it said, casual reasoning occurs when we have good reason to believe something when there is a cause and effect that are related, but I didn’t get what it meant when it said, “…it may become possible for us to alter our environment by producing (or by preventing) the occurrence of certain kinds of events. This statement went right over my head when I was trying to understand the concept, so I further researched what causal reasoning was. I soon learned by reading other sites, that this final statement meant that everything has a cause and effect. When we know what the effects of certain causes are, we can either make things happen or prevent them from happening in our world from our reason.

For example:

·      I forgot to put my shirt in the closet and now it is wrinkled.

By not putting my shirt away in the closet, I caused my shirt to become wrinkled, which is the effect. I could prevent this from occurring in the future by casual reasoning, or I could make it happen again, even though I know the effect of the cause. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gracie:) I am glad you learned that the causal reasoning was the cause and effect method. Also glad you're not confused anymore:), I think haha. But yeah, I really liked how you used that experience to further predict what would happen in the future if you put your shirt in the closet again. I feel like causal reasoning is so closely related to inductive reasoning. Well, I feel like all the reasonings overlap one another somehow, so it's a bit confusing how to distinguish one from the other. But overall, great job on the post and hope you don't run into anymore confusion:)

    ReplyDelete